Medical Material Information Message
|FDA Recall Reference:
|MFG Release Date:
2014 - 2015 INFLUENZA VIRUS VACCINE - CALL FOR REQUIREMENTS / SUSPENSE: 28 FEBRUARY 2014
Reason / Information:
ARMY ONLY MESSAGE. AIR FORCE / NAVY THIS INFORMATION DOES NOT APPLY.
Purpose of this message is to call for requirements for 2014-2015 Influenza (FLU) Vaccine. All Active and Reserve Component Installations should plan for 100% mandatory vaccination of service members as a total force vaccination is expected.
Request Command/Activity coordinate with the Preventive Medicine Staff, Pharmacy Officers, Logisticians, as well as last year's Influenza Point of Contacts (POC's) to determine the number of DOSES needed for your requirements. Review deployment and redeployment schedules.
By using the age categories, provide your requirements via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org; or email@example.com. If email is unavailable, fax this information to: 301-619-4468 or DSN 343-4468, NLT 28 February 2014.
Disposition / Instructions:
To obtain the DoD Influenza Vaccine Ordering Guide - See Image on Message (Under Additional Documentation/Attachments).
NOTE: Category H - High Risk Conditions Include:
- Persons with a history of hypersensitivity, including anaphylaxis, to any of the components of Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine (LAIV) or to eggs;
- Persons with any of the underlying medical conditions that serve as an indication for routine influenza vaccination, including asthma, reactive airways disease, or other chronic disorders of the pulmonary or cardiovascular systems;
- Other underlying medical conditions, including such metabolic diseases as diabetes, renal dysfunction, and hemoglobinopathies; or known or suspected immunodeficiency diseases or immunosuppressed states;
- Children or adolescents receiving aspirin or other salicylates (because of the association of Reye Syndrome with wild-type influenza virus infection);
- Persons with a history of Guillain-Barre Syndrome; or
- Pregnant Women.
Information to Consider:
- Check state law regarding use of vaccines with Thimerosal before ordering. In Accordance With (IAW) Health Affairs (HA) Policy 08-013, DoD guidance regarding Thimerosal containing vaccines is as follows: In an effort to comply with local requirements, facilities providing immunization services should make every attempt to comply with state law related to vaccines preserved with Thimerosal. If Thimerosal-Free Vaccines are not available in local communities that require them, do not withhold immunization, but obtain patient's consent for immunization. Available at (http://www.health.mil/libraries/HA_Policies_and_Guidelines/08-013.pdf)
- Current Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) influenza guidelines state that children aged 6 months through 8 years require 2 doses of influenza vaccine (administered a minimum of 4 weeks apart) during their first season of vaccination to optimize immune response. Additional information is available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6207a1.htm.
- IAW HA policy 08-005: Civilian health care personnel who provide direct patient care in DoD medical treatment facilities are required to be immunized against seasonal influenza infection each year as a condition of employment, unless there is documented medical or religious exemption. http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/1169HCPFluHAPolicy_08_005.pdf
Estimated delivery schedule for Injectable Vaccine (subject to change):
Aug - 70%
Sep - 30%
Estimated delivery schedule for Nasal Spray Vaccine (subject to change):
Aug - 50%
Sep - 30%
Oct - 20%
Do not offset projected requirements with any on-hand stock of 2013-2014 vaccine. Do not include Army National Guard unit requirements unless you advise the Army service POC below.
POC Contact Information:
USFK CUST CONTACT USAMMC-K PHARM:
Additional Message Recipients:
Please ensure dissemination of this information to the following:
Medical Log Officers
Vaccince Shot Teams
Message Dissemination Authorization
See Army Regulation (Ar) 40-61, 28 January 2005, Chapter 4, And The Department Of The Army Supply Bulletin (Sb 8-75-11) For Applicable Policies And Procedures.
Additional Documentation / Attachments
*** END OF MESSAGE ***